-H.M.S. Hood Crew Information-
H.M.S. Hood Crew List
Updated 17-Apr-2010

It is estimated that as many as 9,000 men served aboard the "Mighty Hood" during the operational portion of her 21 year career. Unfortunately, there is no surviving official single listing of ALL men who served in her. Here you will find our attempt at creating such a listing. We are using the few, fragmentary crew lists known to exist, Navy Lists, various official reports, public records, and most importantly of all, inputs from the families of former crew.

Chainbar divider

Douglas Marr

Date of Birth:

22 October 1894
Place of Birth: Fraserburgh
Former Occupation: Deep sea fisherman
Service: Royal Navy
Service No.: J10447
Previous Service No.: Not known
Rank in Hood (highest): Able Seaman
Period in Hood: 1920-1922
Biographical Information: Douglas was born in Fraserburgh, Aberdeenshire, Scotland at 17 Hanover street on the 22nd of October 1894.

At the age of 16 he volunteered to join the Royal Navy but was not accepted. After working as a deep sea fisherman based in Fraserburgh for 2 years he was accepted on the 22 Oct 1912 when he was 18 years old.

He volunteered for 12 years then on the 7th of Oct 1924 he reengaged to complete his time for pension. The last entry on his ships papers was the 6th Jan 1926 Invalided R.N. Hospital, Plymouth. He was 31 years old and had served in the Royal Navy for 13 years.

He travelled as a passenger on the ship Arawa that left Southhampton U.K. on the 24th of April 1926 to Wellington, New Zealand. In October 1926 he was on a ship called the Otimai. From March 1926 until Oct 1929 he was on the RFA Nucula which used to re fuel warships in New Zealand and Pacific area. He also said he was on cable laying ships, laying telephone cables to some of the Pacific Islands. After this he was on coastal ships around New Zealand, the likes of Holmglen, Holmdale etc.

In 1941 he served for a short time in the New Zealand Army as a gunner, based in Auckland, New Zealand. Also in 1941 he married and in 1942 shifted to New Plymouth, Taranaki where he spent the rest of his life with his wife Iris, his son Eric and daughters Betty Jean and Helen.

He passed away in New Plymouth on the 20th Sept 1974, one month short of his 80th birthday.